Monday, February 24, 2014

DIY: Artisanal Craft Day

My latest urban endeavor finds me in the house all day cooped up with a sewing machine and a dream, errr, or loosely formed idea of how to save $25 or more on a genuine leather camera strap for my new vintage Canon AT-1 film camera.  Also, the idea of handcrafting my own pieces makes the labor of love that much sweeter.



I've recently been working on a secret photography project that will very soon come to fruition (more details on that to come later).  However, since procuring this vintage camera, it was only right that the camera accessories have that same flair for eccentricity.

Enter: Vintage Black Leather Jacket
This jacket probably cost me about $10 while thrifting back in Chicago (I miss paying thrift store prices for secondhand items; it doesn't work that way here in NYc). Due to the broken zipper that I swore to have fixed before the first wear, this jacket was steal. Fast forward three years and this jacket has finally come full circle in its investment potential.

In an effort to preserve the numerous original panels from the jacket's designer construction made for some interesting fabric pulls.

Enter: Seam Ripper
Tedious process...

Having a functional sewing machine in your place is beautiful thing and great way to let your creative juices flow for a couple of hours. I've got access to 3 of these devices in my home. I've never had formal training in how to use these but that's never stopped me from doing anything in life. Learn as you go. My best sewing tips to share so far: steady your hands and move slow until you develop your technique.

Machine work:


Finished Product:


I'm looking forward to sharpening my sewing skills so that I can repurpose more of the remnants of my leather; stay tuned.
- Keilon

2 comments: